Disco Dancer is a 1982 Indian Hindi/Bollywood feature film directed by Babbar Subhash, starring Mithun Chakraborty in the lead role and Rajesh Khanna in a special appearance plays the mentor of the lead hero. The film tells the rags-to-riches story of a young street performer. It is especially known for its filmi disco songs composed by Bappi Lahari and dance of Mithun Chakraborthy. Songs including "I am a Disco Dancer" and "Yaad Aa Raha Hai" (picturized on Mithun and sung by Vijay Benedict and Bappi Lahiri) and "Goro Ki Na Kaalo Ki" (picturised on Rajesh Khanna and sung by Suresh Wadkar with Usha Mangeshkar) became very popular.
The film was a worldwide success, with its popularity extending across Southern and Central Asia, Eastern and Western Africa, the Middle East, East Asia, Turkey and Soviet Union. It was one of the most successful Indian films in the Soviet Union, drawing an audience of 40 to 63 million viewers there. Disco Dancer established Mithun as a household name in Southern Asia and the Soviet Union. In China, the soundtrack was a success and received an award.
It was remade in Tamil as Paadum Vaanambaadi with Anand Babu and in Telugu as Disco King with Nandamuri Balakrishna.
- Super Star Rajesh Khanna as Master Raju
- Mithun Chakraborty as Anil / Jimmy
- Kim Yashpal as Rita Oberoi
- Om Puri as David Brown
- Om Shivpuri as P.N. Oberoi
- Gita Siddharth as Radha
- Karan Razdan as Sam
- Kalpana Iyer as Nikki Brown
- Directed by Babbar Subhash
- Produced by Babbar Subhash and Tilotima Babbar Subhash
- Written by Dr. Rahi Masoom Reza and Deepak Balraj Vij
- Music by Bappi Lahiri
- Cinematography by Nadeem Khan
- Edited by Mangesh Chavan and Shyam Gupte
- Production Company : B. Subhash Movie Unit
- Release date : 10th December 1982
- Language : Hindi
- Country : India
Anil (Mithun Chakraborty), a street performer and wedding singer, is scarred by the memory of the rich P.N. Oberoi (Om Shivpuri) beating his mother (Gita Siddharth) in an incident during his childhood. When David Brown, the manager (Om Puri) of current Indian disco is fed up of champion Sam (Karan Razdan) and looks for some new talent, he happens across Anil who is dance-walking down a street. Rebranded as 'Jimmy', the rising disco star must take the throne from Sam and win the heart of Rita (Kim Yashpal), Oberoi's daughter.
All seems to be going well until Oberoi hires men to connect Jimmy's electric guitar to 5,000 volts of electricity, causing Jimmy's mother to die in a tragic accident. With his legs broken by Oberoi's goons and guitar phobia from the incident with his mother, Jimmy must claim first place for Team India at the International Disco Dancing Competition amidst strong competition from Team Africa and Team Paris.
The title song "I Am a Disco Dancer" was shot at Natraj Studio in Mumbai over three days, where scenes featuring Mithun Chakrobarty's signature moves were filmed. Thereafter, the shooting featuring crowds scenes at Filmistan Studio in Mumbai.
Music Sound Track :
The music for the movie was directed by Bappi Lahiri. The tracks on the 1982 soundtrack album are as follows :
- "Goron Ki Na Kaalon Ki" : By Suresh Wadkar and Usha Mangeshkar
- "Auva Auva – Koi Yahaan Nache" : By Usha Uthup and Bappi Lahiri
- "Ae Oh Aa Zara Mudke" : By Kishore Kumar
- "Krishna Dharti Pe Aaja Tu" : By Nandu Bhende
- "I Am a Disco Dancer" : By Vijay Benedict
- "Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Aaja" : By Parvati Khan
- "Yaad Aa Raha Hai" : By Bappi Lahiri